OLD KILKENNY REVIEW
Old Kilkenny Review, Number 1 (1946-1947). January 1948
Lyng, Thomas G.: Ballyraggett and district, 11-24.
Gibb, John S.: A tour on the
O'Kelly, Owen: Place-Names in
Gibb, John S.:
Monks, Willie: The
An t-Ath. Michéal: St. Fiacre's Well, 63-67.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. II (1948). January 1949.
Sparks, M.: The Rothes of Kilkenny, 7-13.
Murphy, J.C.J.: The Kilkenny Marble Works, 14-19.
O'Leary, John: Ullard, 20-25.
Pilsworth, W.J.: The Merino factory: old
Kenealy, Mrs. C.J.: "The walls of Kilkenny", 32-38.
Craig, M.J. (notes after a tour by): Gregorian [recte Georgian] architecture in Kilkenny, 39-41.
Hughes, J.J.: Inistioge, 42-47.
Phelan, W.J.: The Tholsel of Kilkenny, 48-55.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 3 (1950)
Prim, John G.A.: Kilkenny inns and taverns (from the Kilkenny Archaeological Journal, 1849), 15-23.
Lanigan, T.G.: John Banim in Windgap Cottage, 33-39.
Pilsworth, Mrs. W.J.: George Bernard Shaw's connection with Kilkenny, 40-42.
Sparks, May: Gowran, 43-46.
Grattan Bellew, Mrs.:
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 4 (1951)
Bersu, Gerhard: Freestone Hill: a preliminary report on the excavations, 5-10.
Healy, J.P.: Tullaroan, 11-19.
Lanigan, T.G.: Kells, 28-34.
Pilsworth, W.J.: "Thomastown Corporation", 35-43.
Sparks, M.: Confederate banners, 49.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 5 (1952)
Pilsworth, W.J.: Thomastown, 1-9.
Clohosey, T.J.: Carrickshock: the Tithe War, 10-15.
Walsh, F.R.: Callan, 16-22.
Lyng, T.P.: The Castlecomer Plateau, 23-34.
Kenealy, Mrs. C.J.: Armorial slabs on old Kilkenny Houses, 35-43.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: Dunamaggin, 44-47.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 6 (1953)
Brennan, James: Canon Carrigan, historian, 1-8.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Moderator, 1838:
Murphy, J. C. J.: Alice Kyteler, 9-14.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Moderator, 1819: Kilkenny Day Coach, 14.
Pilsworth, W. J.: Dysart, 15-17.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Moderator, 1891: Archersgrove Mills, 17.
Leahy, G.: Ballyspellan Spa, 18-22.
O'Kelly, Owen: Kellymount Old Abbey, 23-25.
Phelan, Mrs. W. J. & Lanigan, Mrs. T.: High Street, notes, 26-37.
Watters, Patrick: The approaches to Kilkenny [abridged from article in JRSAI 1872], 38-46.
Sparks, May: Tullaherin, 47-49.
Gibb, J.S.: St. Canice's Cathedral bells, 50-53.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Moderator, 1886: The National Bank, 53.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 7 (1954)
Murphy, J. C. J.: The ten civic families of Kilkenny, 1-19.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: High Street (continued). High Street from the Tholsel to the Parade on the east side, 20-24.
Tennison, C. M.: Williams and Finn, bankers, Kilkenny, 24.
Montagu Stopford, Mrs.: The
Gibb, J.S. (ed.): Letters of Rev. James Graves, 30-34.
Sparks, May: Archbishop Rinuccini, Papal Nuncio, 35-39.
Lyng, T. P.: Kilgory, 41- 45.
Clohosey, T.J. (ed.): Viscount Mountgarret and Ballyconra, 46-49.
O'Kelly, Owen: Liosta focal Gaeilge ata
meascaithe trid an Bearla ag muintir Chill Chainnigh (A list of Irish words
interwoven in the English language in
Tennison, C. M.: Loughnan's Bank, Kilkenny, 49.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 8 (1955)
Prendergast, Ellen: Pre-historic cooking places in Webbsborough District, 1-10.
O'Brien, Sean: The ancient parish of Kilmacahill, 16-18.
Drennan, Mrs.: Kylebeg: The
Kenealy, C.J.: Blanchfield House and demesne, 24-29.
Gibb, J.S. & Phelan, W. J.: . Irishtown notes, 30-35.
anon.: A glimpse into the past: when the vane fell, 35.
Clohosey, T.J.: Cromwell's siege of Kilkenny, 36-46.
anonymous: Medical school in Kilkenny - a note, 47.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 9 (1956-1957)
Phelan, W.J. & Gibb, J.S.: St. Canice's
Place (ancient Bull Alley) and
Hoyne, Thomas: Henry Ellis, 7-10.
McEnery, Alice: Pen picture of a great artist: Sir John Lavery's Kilkenny connections, 11-13.
Hegarty, M.: Johnswell, 14 -26.
Lyng, T.P.: Ballyragget and district, 32-41.
Hughes, Edward W.:
anonymous: Small bronze axehead found near
anonymous: Souterrain found in the townland of Kildalton (note), 47.
Sparks, Mai: Pottlerath and Kilmanagh, 48-54.
Pilsworth, W.J.: Kilkenny Corporation accounts in the 18th Century, 55-59.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 10 (1958)
O'Neill, Thomas P.: The Famine in Kilkenny, 1-5.
Prendergast, Ellen: The "Moat of Ballyfoyle", 5.
McAdams, J. Leo: Corbett Wilson: the pioneer airman, 6-18.
Marescaux, G.: Bonnettstown Hall and Castle, 19-26.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: A forgotten Kilkenny school, 27-30.
Prendergast, Ellen: Bronze axehead from Co. Kilkenny, 36-37.
Prendergast, Ellen: A souterrain recently discovered in Kilkenny 38-41.
Walsh, F.R.: Castle Eve, 42-46.
Cassin, M.: Here and there in St. Canice's Parish, 47 -54.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 11 (1959)
O'Kelly, Eoin: In the footsteps of an Irish antiquary, 1-12.
Waldron, T.: Tubbridbritain and Muircheartach Mac Neill, 13-18.
Purdon, E.R.: House of Mountgarret, 19-22.
anon: John Bourke O'Flaherty, Castlefield, 22.
Lyng, T.P.: Fertagh - Parish of
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.:
Clohosey, T.J.: 18th Century Kilkenny, 42-46.
Nyhan, Patrick: Names of fields in Attateemore in the parish of Kilcollam, Barony of Ida, Co. Kilkenny, 47-48.
Waldron, T.: Tobar a' Dhroo or The Hermit's Well, Clonetubrid, 49-52
Healy, J.P.: The "Stormy Petrel" (Mrs. Laracy), 52-54.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 12 (1960)
Birch, Peter: Some early schools of Kilkenny, 3-12.
Kenealy, C.J.: The monuments in St. Canice's Cathedral, 13-15.
newspaper report 1855: Rail junction, 15.
Clohosey, T.J.: St. Canice of Aghaboe and Kilkenny, 16-20.
newspaper report 1855: Auxiliary workhouse burned down, 20.
Smithwick, Walter: The Smithwick family (notes from a talk given at Kilcreene Lodge), 21-24.
Clohosey, T.J.: Father Matt Keeffe, 25-28.
Lanigan, Mrs. T.G.:
newspaper report 1855: The city lamps, 31.
Sparks, May: St. Canice's Well, 32-37.
Stopford, Nancy: The Greenes of Kilmacow, 38-42.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: Notes on High Street from the Tholsel to the Post Office, 43-51.
anonymous, after Helen Roe: Maddoxtown font, 51-52.
Prendergast, Ellen: Kiln at Luffany Co. Kilkenny, 53-56.
Prendergast, Ellen: Prehistoric burial site at Slieverue, Co. Kilkenny, 57-59.
Murphy, N.: Blessed Oliver Plunkett and Kilkenny (from Seven Hills Magazine, June 1906), 60-61.
O'Niathan, P.: Names of fields in Townland of Atateemore, Co. Kilkenny, 62-70.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 13 (1961)
Simms, J.G.: Kilkenny in the Jacobite War, 1689-91, 10-20.
O Ceallaigh, E. (Owen O'Kelly): Field names in the Civil Parish of Derrynahinch, 20-26.
Lanigan, T.G.: The tomb of the Banim brothers, 27-29.
O'Kelly, Owen: Oghamcraobh ar liagan, 29.
Walsh, Patrick: The old roads of Kilkenny, 30-34.
anonymous: Catalogue of articles in Old Kilkenny Review, Nos. 1-12, 35
O'Callaghan, T.J. (letter to Irish
Independent 17.9.1959): Died 100 years ago in
Maher, Edward: St. Fiacre, 48-56.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: High Street (continued). From the Post Office to
Grattan-Bellew, Mrs.: Powerstown church, 65- 67.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 14 (1962)
Clohosey, T.J.: John O'Donovan, 5-17.
Lyng, T.P.: Grinding stones or culm brushers [recte crushers], 17.
Prendergast, Ellen: Prehistoric grave near Gowran, 18-21.
Phelan, Mrs. W.J.: A visit to
paragraph and photograph:
Finn, John & Murphy, Mrs. J. C. J.: John Street-north and south sides, 25-39.
O Ceallaigh, E.: Sean-chill Chiaráin Naofa, 42-44.
Drennan, Mrs.:Paulstown castle, 45-55.
O Ceallaigh, E.: The Heburn Stream, 55.
anonymous: St. Francis' Abbey, 56-58.
St. J. Brooks, Eric: Irish possessions of St. Thomas of Acre [extract from article in Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 1956], 59-60.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 15 (1963)
Kenealy, C. J.:
Walsh, F.R.: Callan "Olde"
Jordan, Michael: John McWalter Walsh. Interesting data on Kilkenny poet, 19-22.
O Ceallaigh, E.: Bluirc Bealoidis: Leigheas ar Buiochan, 22
Lanigan, K.M.: Richard de Ledrede, Bishop of Ossory, 23-29.
Lanigan, K.M.: The Rothe will, 30-34.
Prendergast, Ellen: Ancient cemetery at Coolmore, 34-36.
Scanlon, J.D.: Jerpoint library duplicates, 36.
Clohosey, T.J.: Birchfield, 37-40.
O Ceallaigh, E.: Gleanings of local history, 40-42.
Bligh, Mrs. Adrian: Some Georgian architecture in town and country, 43-48.
Hegarty, Maureen: Dr. Richard Pococke, 48-54.
anonymous: The Rower (note), (65).
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 16 (1964)
Prendergast, Ellen: A new High Cross at Leggettsrath, 5-16.
O'Brien, Sean: The
Smithwick, Peter: The Sullivans-A Notable 19th Century Kilkenny Family, 23-32.
newspaper article: Finn's
Hughes, Edward: Graignamanagh, 42-49.
O Ceallaigh, Eoin: Focal Comhairle o'n Iar-Runai, 50-51.
Delaney, James J.: Sir William Shee-The Queen's Sergeant, 52-57.
newspaper article: An Inn or Tavern for over 100 Years -?1860s, 58.
Bettina Grattan-Bellew: Goresbridge and Barrowmount House, 57-58.
Walsh, Patrick: Kilkenny Crafts, 59-60.
newspaper article: Finn's
Birthistle, Dorcas: Alms houses of Kilkenny, 61-63.
Lyng, T. P.: Three castles, 64-72.
newspaper article: Finn's
anonymous: '98 Pike (note), 74.
Keane, John E. Kerry: The Cromwellian siege of Kilkenny, 75-82.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 17 (1965)
Phelan, Margaret: Ballylarkin and the Shortall family, 5-8.
Hegarty, Maureen: Clara Castle, 9-14.
Delaney, Michael: Land agitator jailed in Kilkenny, 15-18.
anonymous: The changing face, 18.
Hurley, Sean: The Tudor mansion house becomes a monument to past glories, 19-21.
Lanigan, Katherine M.:
Walsh, Pat: Eighteenth century Kilkenny, 38-44.
Gaffney, Henry: Treasures of the Black Abbey, 44-47.
Prendergast, Ellen: Carved stone head from
Drennan, Catherine: Gowran, 52-63.
Clohosey, T. J.: A visit to
Bligh, Nin: Kilkenny Corporation regalia, 67-70.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 18 (1966)
?Rae, E.C.: Mensa of the tomb of Piers Rua Ormond and Mairead Ní Ghearoid, daughter of the Great Earl of Kildare, 2.
Birthistle, Dorcas: Gateways of the walls of Kilkenny, 5-9.
De Loughry, Mrs. Richard:
Lyng, T.P.: Kilkenny Gaelic, 17-25.
Fitzmaurice, Mrs. S. A.: Cloghrennan and the
Lord Dunboyne: The
Leahy, Sheila: St. Canice's Cottage, 58-61.
Rae E.C.: An O'Tunney masterpiece reconstituted, 62-71.
Walsh, F.R.: Edmund Ignatius Rice, 71-76.
Delaney, Michael: Coon evictions, 77-78.
anonymous: Kilkenny postmasters, 80.
Walsh, Pat: As others saw us, 81-82.
anonymous: Catalogue of Old Kilkenny Review, 5 years; Nos 13-17. Continued from No. 13, 85-87.
Walsh, R.A.: Kyteler's
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 19 (1967)
Lord Dunboyne: The Butlers (continued), 5-13.
Hegarty, Maureen: April 17, 1966 [official opening of Rothe House], 14-20.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 4.3.1807: To Be Let
O'Doherty, Sean: Tullaroan, 21-25.
newspaper article: Finn's
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 25.3.1807: To Be Let (Abbeyview, near Thomastown), 28.
Murphy, C.: The Bryan-Bellews of Jenkinstown and Bawnmore, 29-39.
Hoyne, Tom: The Jenkinstown bridges, 39-40.
Clohosey, T.J.: The Ponsonbys and
Document, 17 July 1810: Hat Stamps, 44.
McAdams, J. Leo: Captain Gafney goes to war, 45-51.
?newspaper article: Otter hunting in1865, 51.
Walsh, Pat: Kilkenny in the 19th century, 52-58.
?newspaper article: Otter trapping, 1865 (invention of trap), 58.
Bryan, Dan: Dunbell, 59-60.
?newspaper article: Malicious damage to machines (reaping machines at Dunbel, September 1866), 60.
document: Letter from Fr. Richard J. Whyte S.J. to John J. A. Prim, 61-63.
Air remarkably good (advertisement for house and land to let at Tullabrin, 1805), 63.
?newspaper report (Kilkenny People): Archbishop John Ireland, 64-68.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 21.2.1807: A
private still (raided, at
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Kilmurry, 69-74.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 14.3.1807: At stud (Callan), 74.
Hadden, Dr.: St. Mullins, 75-78.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 21.2.1807: 72 marries 19 and £2000 fortune (John Cahill & Miss Carth, Tallow, 81.
newspaper advertisement: Kilkenny Journal, 14.3.1807: To be sold (large travelling coach), 93.
Le Clerc, Percy: letter pointing out that he was misquoted in the 1966 number, 94.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 20 (1968)
newspaper article: New Junctions-1867 [new railway line Kilkenny to Maryborough], 4.
Phelan, Margaret: High Street, Kilkenny: west
Gwynn, D.R.: James Stephens and the Fenian Rising, 27-44.
Petrie, Sir Charles: The Rothes in Irish and French history, 45-53.
Hoyne, Tom: Murphy of Gragara and Castle Annaghs, 54-61.
Hughes, E.W.: The Rathgeran stone, 62-63.
newspaper article: Pikes discovered-1867 [Garrynaman, Kells], 66.
newspaper article: Kilkenny Journal, 1892: Death of a '48 man, 67.
newspaper article: Petty Concessions-1867, 69.
newspaper article: Robbery of butter-1867, 69.
newspaper article (no date): Watery milk at Urlingford, 69.
newspaper article (no date): The Kilkenny Hunt, 71.
newspaper article (no date): 'Comer woman's sudden death, 78.
newspaper article (no date): Local improvements (seen while travelling from Kilkenny to Carrick), 78.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 21 (1969)
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Freshford doorway, 5-10.
Wray, Kathleen: Maudlin Street, 11-14.
Buggy, Madge: A note on Three Castles cemetery, 15-16.
Coyle, Tom: Inistioge district, 17-31.
Birthistle, Dorcas: Inistioge, 31-47.
Gwynn, Denis: A rebel priest, 48-50.
Phelan, Margaret M.: An amateur looks at the Ossory tombs with apostolic surrounds, 60-75.
Mac Carthaigh, Padraig: Achadh Ur agus seadchomharta Lachtin Naomhtha, 78-80.
newspaper article: Train Raided-1922, 82.
Maher, James: The
Maher, James: James Hoban, 84-85.
newspaper article: Release of Prisoners-1916, 85.
P[helan], M[argaret] M.: St. Leger-Comerford Tomb at Grove, near Grange, Co. Kilkenny, 86-88.
newspaper article: Holiday-August 1916, 92.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Collection of antiquities at Rothe House Museum, 1960-1966, 100-106.
newspaper article: [Police raid on brewery, searching for James Stephens]-1866, 95.
newspaper article: The Recent Thaw-1867, 95.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 22 (1970)
Woodworth, David: St. Canice's library, 5-10.
Gwynn, Denis: Standish O'Grady, 11-14.
Prendergast, Ellen: Smithstown axe-head, 14-16.
McCracken, Eileen: Notes on Kilkenny woods and nurserymen, 17-23.
Holmes, William J.: New investigations at Liathmore-Mochoemog (Leigh), 29-31.
Glasscock, R.E.: Excavations, 1968-69, 31-34.
Prendergast, Richard: The faithful
Murphy, William: The pattern of Mullinakill, 42-44.
Kenealy, Mary: The Parade, 44-54.
Hughes, Edward: Ullard, 58-61.
Prendergast, Ellen: Burials at Gallowshill, 64.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: The Museum in 1969 [including a continuation of the catalogue, 66/51-68/34], 65-69.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 23 (1971)
Hegarty, Maureen: Jerpoint, 4-14.
document (extract from Liber Primus Kilkenniensis): Tidy Towns-1335 A.D., 14.
Woodworth, David: St. Canice's Library (continued), 15-22.
Grattan-Bellew, Bettina: The Loftuses of
anonymous: A rotary quern still in use, 35.
Glassock R.E.: Excavations at
anonymous (but quotes Spencer's The Fairie Queen): The Three Sisters, 46.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Clashacro, 47-52.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Report on the Museum for 1970 [including a continuation of the catalogue, 69/1-70/22], 63-65.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 24 (1972)
Phelan, Margaret M.: St. Mary's Cathedral, a personal approach, 4-17.
De Loughry, Richard J.:
Comerford, P. J. M.: The Comerford family. How origins became confused, 29-32.
Roe Helen M.: A medieval alabaster figure, Black Abbey, Kilkenny, 33-36.
Mac Cárthaigh, Padraig:
Dowling, Daniel: Glenmore brickyards, a forgotten industry, 42-51.
O'Carroll, Joseph: The forgotten market house, 51.
Lanigan, K. M.: Pilgrimage to Meaux, 52-54.
Walsh, Pat: Linen weaving in Kilkenny in 18th century, 56-57.
Prendergast, Ellen & Ryan, Michael FitzG.: Excavations in Ballyoskill townland, 58-59.
Kenealy, John W.: Query re Sir Cornelius Gregg; reply by the Editor, 59.
Ryan, Michael Fitz G.: Tumulus in Jerpoint West, preliminary note, 60-61.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report 1971, including 1971/1-16, 64-65.
anonymous note: First Roman Catholic Mayor (Redmond Reade, 1836) , 66.
Ryan, John: Rotary querns, 68.
Old Kilkenny Review, No. 25 (1973)
Lanigan, Katherine M.: The Banim brothers-a reassessment, 2-12.
Harbison, Peter: An illustration of the lost Walsh knight from the Jerpoint Cloister arcade, 13-15.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Kilree, 16-28.
O'Connell, John J.: Castletown House, Piltown, Co. Kilkenny, home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Blaque, 29-33.
Harbison, Peter: Three decorated wooden beams
of the thirteenth century in
Gillespie, Martin: Uppercourt Manor, 42-47.
Walsh, Patrick: The Walsh flag, 48-49.
Brennan, Martin: Letters of Nell Gwin, 49-50.
Tyler, Gerald: The glass house at Gurteens
and glass developments in
newspaper article (Finn's Leinster Journal, April 1801): 50gns. reward for trees cut down and stolen from Jenkinstown and Graigacraw [already quoted in O.K.R. 1967, p25], 60.
Fanning, Thomas: Excavations at Kells Priory, Co. Kilkenny, Preliminary report, 61-64.
Origin of firm D. Smithwick & Co. [quoted from O.K.R. 26, p19], 64.
Kealy P. & Ryan J.: Souterrain at
Comerford, Patrick: The early Society of Friends and their history in Kilkenny, 68-75.
Hayburn, Edmund Langton: Langton portraits, 76-78.
newspaper article (Waterford Mirror 1835): Reduction of rents at Aylwardstown, Glenmore, 87.
?Lanigan, Katherine M.: [Museum] loans and donations, November 1971 to October 1972, 90-91.
?O'Doherty, Sean: Table of contents-Old Kilkenny Review, numbers 16-21 inclusive, 91-92.
Old Kilkenny Review, Vol 6 No 1. (1974) [should be Vol 1 No 1]
Hughes, E.W.: Duiske Abbey, Graignamanagh, 4-6.
anonymous: Fifteenth-century window uncovered in High Street (note), 6.
Hegarty, Maureen: Kilfane, 7-20.
Harbison, Peter: Carved stone of the twelfth-century predecessor of St. Canice's Cathedral, 26-29.
Hayburn, Edmund Langton: Langton houses, 30-32.
de Loughry, Richard: Castles of
Corrigenda, excavations at Kells Priory, Thomas Fanning, O.K.R. 1973, 37.
Dowling, Daniel: Cardinal Wiseman and his
Prendergast, Ellen: A burial of the Bronze Age at Moyne, Co. Laois, 52-54.
O'Carroll, Joseph: St. Rioch's churchyard (note), 57.
anonymous: Ennisnag slab (note), 58.
O'Doherty, Sean: Dysert Moon tomb, 59.
?Lanigan, Katherine M.: [Museum] donations and loans, 1973, 63-64.
Dolley, Michael: The 1973 Viking-age coin-find from Dunmore Cave,70-79.
Conlon, Patrick: Notes on St. Francis Abbey, Kilkenny, 80-84.
Bradley, John: The town wall of Kilkenny-part I, 85-103.
Foley, Clair: The discovery of a portion of
13th Century wall at
Brennan, Martin: Ogham language, 104.
McAdams, J. Leo: Count Thomas J. O'Loughlin, 105-117.
newspaper article (The Penny Illustrated Paper, 3.12.1870): Ripe strawberries in November [in Kilkenny], 117.
Manning, Conleth: Jerpoint cloister fragment at Sheepstown, 118-119.
Harbison, Peter: Decorated roof boss found at Newpark Hotel, 120-123.
Cashin, Geraldine: The railway comes and goes, 124-125.
Condon, Bernadette: Mallardstown Mill, 125-126.
newspaper article (Leinster Journal 13.2.1801): Rothe, gunmaker, Kilkenny, 127.
Phelan, Margaret M.: William Canon Carrigan, 1890-1924, 148-157.
McEvoy, Frank: John George Augustus Prim, 1821-1875, 158-168.
Kenealy, Mary: The parish of Aharney and the Marum family, 169-174.
De Loughrey, Anna:
Manning, Conleth: The Inistioge Priory cloister arcade, 190-200.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Burials at Killaree, Threecastles, 200.
Brennan, John: Clonamery, 201-208.
Bradley, John: The town wall of Kilkenny-Part II, 209-218.
document: Diary of Robert Chaloner Knox, Caherleske House. Story of a bicycle, 1877, 218.
McEvoy, Frank: A Roman tomb or Cardinal Newman's second blunder, 219-221.
Prendergast, Ellen: A fulacht fiadh at Firgrove near Inistioge, 222-223.
query: John Bradley compiling a catalogue of all charters, indentures, deeds, etc., relating to Kilkenny in the period 1200-1750, 223.
O'Brien, Niamh: James Stephens Barracks: from the day it was built until the present day, 224-226.
?Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report. List of acquisitions, 1975, 227-228.
Prendergast Ellen Medieval jug from Castleinch 238-244.
Walsh, F.R.: Laying a legend, 245-247.
Lanigan Katherine: The castle is open again [with description], 248-253.
Hughes, Edward W.: Duiske Abbey, Graignamanagh-abbey triumphant, 254-260.
anonymous: Inscriptions on the tombstones in Kilkenny graveyards (note), 260.
Kenealy, Mary: The Celt, 261-263.
Prendergast, Ellen: A fulacht fiadh at Ballyhimmin, near Castlecomer, 264-267.
document: Extract from the diary of Humphrey O'Sullivan, 24.11.1828, mentioning Thomastown, 267.
Hegarty, Maureen: Desart, May 9th, 1976, 268-270.
document: Extract from the diary of Humphrey O'Sullivan,
6.8.1827. Funeral in
anonymous: Translation of inscription in Kilbride churchyard, Callan, 270.
O'Doherty, Sean: "Is Cantwell smiling at Maureen Hegarty?" 271.
Johnson, Richard Colles: In memoriam : Sir Dudley Colles, 272-275.
Clifford, Denis: Renovations to the Black Abbey, 277.
Tyler, Gerald: The iron gate, relic of a forgotten craft, 278-283.
?Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report. List of acquisitions, 1976, 284.
Crotty, Gerard: Six coats of arms at St. Mary's, 306-313.
O'Maolain, Seamus: A Middle English lyric fragment in the Red Book of Ossory, 314-320.
Phelan, Margaret M.: King Richard II's two visits to Kilkenny (1395 & 1399), 321-331.
Kenealy, Mary: Finn's
anonymous: Graveyard inscription from Co. Wicklow (note), 348.
Walton, Julian C.: Richard Canon Aylward (1872-1954), 349-351.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Two Butler monuments in Old St. Mary's, 352 picture, 353-355 text.
anonymous: Graveyard inscription from Co. Wicklow (note), 355.
Marescaux, Geoffrey: Swifte's Heath, 356-362.
newspaper article (The Dublin Evening Mail, 14 June 1826): Private education, 362.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum report 1977, including acquisition, 367.
Hegarty Maureen: David Rothe, 4-21.
Kenealy, Mary: Thomas MacDonagh in Kilkenny, 22-23.
Phelan, Margaret M.:
Crotty, Gerard: The Arms of Ragget, 36-37.
Buggy, Madge: Memorials of the dead-St. Mary's, Kilkenny (Part I), 38-44.
Grattan-Bellew, Bettina: The churches of Powerstown, Grange Sylvae and Goresbridge, 45-47.
O'Brien, Seamus: Callan Electricity Board, 48-49.
Brennan, John: Foulksrath and its associations, 50-60.
de Loughry, Anna: Interesting find at Rothe House 1978 ['time capsule' from 1899], 60.
Flannery, Margaret: Charles Joseph Kickham, 1828-1882, 61-63.
Gabbett, Moira: Kilmoganny, 64-74.
Phelan, Margaret M.:
O'Doherty, Sean: Sheela-na-gig at Cooliagh, 72-74.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum report 1978, including donations and loans during the year, 78.
Carroll, Noel: Letter re Laurence Clooney, 18th-century priest, 4.
Bradley, John: Some new and neglected medieval tomb slabs and fragments from Kilkenny, 5-21.
Mac Garry, Damian C.: Carved medieval font at Thomastown, 34-36.
Hughes E.W.: On Penal Day sites in the
Phelan, Margaret M.: Fr. Thomas O'Shea and the Callan Tenant Protection Society, 49-58.
O'Neill-Flanagan, Don: Belline, 59-62.
Daniel T.K.: The strange case of the drunken bishop-a Reformation mystery solved, 63-68.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Urlingford, 69-70.
Ford, Linda & Doran, William: Wall paintings at Jerpoint Abbey, Co. Kilkenny-a note, 71-72.
Buggy, Madge: Memorials of the dead, St. Mary's, Kilkenny (continued), 73-78.
?Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report for 1979, 86-87.
Ó Riordáin, Breandáin: The Derrynaflan Hoard, 206-207.
McEvoy, Frank: Kilkenny Races, 208-212.
Brennan, John: Jenkinstown-Co.Kilkenny-and its associations, 213-234.
Monks, Willie: Kilkenny and Fingal-a link, 225.
O'Doherty, Seán: 'Repeal' in Callan Workhouse. Based on the minutes of the Board of Guardians, Callan, 1845, 226-230.
Ó Maoláin, Séamus: History on our tongues, 231-24.
hOgáin, Daithi Ó: Some 18th century folk poets of Kilkenny, 235-238.
document: Letter from John Dunne to John G.A. Prim, 1864, 238.
Hughes, E. W.: A parish remembers its past, 239-244.
Fanning, Thomas: Interim report on excavations at Kells Priory, Co. Kilkenny, 1980, 245-248.
Bourke, Cormac: A limestone quarry & kiln at Kilderry, 248-249.
Lanigan, Katherine M.:
Cahill, Mary: A bronze ringed pin from Bishopslough, Newtown, Co. Kilkenny, 253.
Lyng, T.: Fitzpatricks of Ossory, 254-268.
Leahy, Ellen: Reminiscences of a countrywoman. The Farmer's Year, 269-270.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Entrance structures at Killarney House, 271-273.
Manning, Conleth: A group of Co. Kilkenny headstones, 274-275.
Hyde, Lex: Excavation: an apprentice's view, 279-280.
Prendergast, Ellen: A bronze axehead from Tullaroan area, 281-282.
Bradley, John: A medieval cross slab from Kilkenny, 283-284.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report for 1980, 297-298.
Mansfield, Brocard M.: The Helshams of Kilkenny, 319-327 [& corrigendum pasted in front of title page].
Grattan-Bellew, Bettina: Doninga House, 327-328.
Kenealy, Mary: Plan of
Crotty, Gerard: The Foulkes monument in St. Canice's Cathedral, 347-351.
McEvoy, Frank: The Slane Peerage claim, 352-362.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Callan doctors, 364-369.
anonymous: Progress report on Rothe House (note), 369.
Bourke, Cormac: Two early hand-bells from Kilkenny, 370-372.
Wall, Thomas: Two episcopal book covers from Ossory. (Homage to Bishop Laurence Forrestal), 373-377.
Manning, Conleth: Cross-slab at Killamery, 378-379.
O'Doherty, Sean: Tomb fragments at Rosbercon, 380.
Hamilton, Anne: River Barrow navigation, 382-387.
Hennessy, Peter: Ballymurphy in 1910, 391-392.
documents: Kilkenny deeds 1785-1879, 393-400.
Lanigan, Katherine M.: Museum Report [including Antiquities acquired during 1981], 420-421.
Lanigan, K.M.: Documents relating to an old St. Patrick's church in Kilkenny, 453-456.
De Loughry, Anna T.: Remembering Lincoln Prison escape, 468-470.
Manning, Conleth: Two cross-slabs at Knocktopher, 471-474.
Hughes, E.W.: Remembering Patrick O'Leary (1856-1931), 475-493.
O'Doherty, Sean: A papal bulla at Rothe House museum, 494-496.
Phelan, Margaret M.: William Earl Marshal (1144-1219), 497-505.
Birthistle, Dorcas: "From the past", 506-517.
Kenealy, Mary: Henry Flood of Farmley, 518-526.
Roe, Helen M.: Instruments of the Passion:
notes towards a survey of their illustration and distribution in
O'Farrell, Fergus: Passion symbols in Irish church carvings, 535-541.
Bradley, John: A medieval figure sculpture from near the Black Abbey, Kilkenny, 542-545.
Costello, Con: An 18th-century episcopal instruction for Ossory, 546-552.
Hegarty, Maureen: Medieval stone crucifixion at Johnswell, Co. Kilkenny, 553-556.
Bligh, Nin: The Rothe silver tankard, 558-559.
Delaney, James: Crucifix used at Friar's Hill, Thomastown, 560-561.
anonymous: Museum report, 572.
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 3 No 1 (1984)
Lightbown, R.W.: Some eighteenth and early nineteenth century visitors to Kilkenny, 3-16.
McEvoy, Frank (edited): The Irish insurrection: Easter Week in Kilkenny, April 1916 [from the diary of Florence Hackett], 17-23.
Mansfield, Brocard M.: Dr. Richard Helsham, "The most eminent physician of this City and Kingdom" (Dean Swift), 24-31.
Prendergast, Ellen: Two Artefacts of the
Bronze Age from
Walton, Julian C. (ed.): The Claim of Pierce
Kennedy, Joe: Cromwell in Callan, 47-51.
Phelan, Margaret M.: The Stoneyford and Freshford Chalices, 52-54.
Fr. Columbkille: Kilcooly Abbey, part one, 55-63.
Moore, Fionnbarr: A Bronze Age Burial at Killinane, near Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow, 64-68.
Kirwan, John: The Woodstock-Bessborough Connection, 69-72.
McEvoy, Frank: The Power of Kilfane portraits, 73-74.
Hayburn, Edmund Langton: The sale of the Langton mansion on High Street, Kilkenny, 75-77.
document: Duke of Ormonde's Spanish prayer book, 1853 [from diary of John, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde], 81.
document: Bust of John Banim in Kilkenny Tholsel, 1853 [from diary of John, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde], 81.
Errata, O.K.R. 1977, 'Sir Dudley Colles', by Richard Colles Johnson, 87.
newspaper article (Cincinatti Daily Enquirer, 14 June 1826): Demise of Paris Anderson, 1857, 90.
How different today
[Marquess of Ormonde visits
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 3 No 2 (1985)
Curran, Simon: The merino factory at Ennisnag, Co. Kilkenny, 105-120.
Crotty, Gerard: Seals of the House of Ormond, Part one, 121-128.
Ó Meachair, Liam: Irish language survivals in the speech of the people in Co. Kilkenny, 129-134.
O'Dwyer, Michael: Land occupation, usage and
Doyle, John: The water mills of Kilkenny, 147-160.
Lightbown, R.W.: Some eighteenth and early nineteenth century visitors to Kilkenny-part two, 161-173.
McEvoy, Frank: Gowran in maps, 174-176.
Fr. Columbkille, O.C.R.: Kilcooly Abbey-part two, 177-182.
Prendergast, Ellen: A spearhead with a difference, 183-186.
Manning, Con: A note on Dinn Ríg, 187-188.
O hOgáin, Eamonn: Amhlaoibh O Súilleabháin agus a mhuintir in 1821, 189-190.
Prendergast, Ellen: The Vigors collection, 195.
document: Final hours of the first Marquess of Ormonde, 1838, [extract from unpublished diary of 2nd Marquis of Ormonde, 1808-1854],146.
document: Mystery in
document: My childhood, 1830 [extract from unpublished diary of 2nd Marquis of Ormonde, 1808-1854], 182.
FitzMaurice, S.A..: Museum Report [including list of donations, 1985], 208-213.
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 3 No 3 (1986)
Mullagh, M. & Condon, L.: History of Stephens Barracks, Kilkenny, 256-266.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Rev. James Graves (1816-1886), 267-276.
Watson, Rowan: A fifteenth century prayer book from St. Kieran's College library, 277-282.
Kenealy, M.: The Antiquities of St. Patrick's parish, 283-287.
Rev. Brother Kieran: The Antiquities of St. Patrick's parish: St. Patrick's de la Salle, 1886-1986, 288.
McCarthy, May: The Antiquities of St. Patrick's parish: Memories of the Village, 289-291.
Phelan, Margaret M.: The Antiquities of St.
Prendergast, Ellen: An ancient repair method, 293-294.
Hegarty, Maureen: Fr. Joseph Broughall, 295-298.
Ryan, John: Kilmanahan, An early monastic site, 302-304.
Nevill, Ted: Kilkenny black marble, 305.
Sr. M. Paschal: Ballyragget Lodge, 306.
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 3 No 4 (1987)
Hogan, Patrick: The Callan Schism, 1869-1879, 339-357.
Mannion, John: Kilkennymen in
Phelan, Margaret M.: Knocktopher, 368-375.
Hegarty, Maureen: Dr. Richard Pococke's
O Fearghail, Fearghus: From Tuam to Ballyspellan, 399-405.
Harte, Rita: Tombstones at
Prendergast, Ellen: The birthplace of Father Matt Keeffe, 418-421.
Condit, Thomas & Gibbons, Michael: An example of rock art at Brandonhill, Co. Kilkenny, 422-424.
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 3 No 5 (1988)
Brennan, Monica A.: Blundens of Kilkenny, 456-467.
MacCarthy, R.B.: Irishtown and the Great Flood of 1763, 468-481.
Hanly, Lucy: Aspects of primary school
Kennedy, Joseph: Thomas Shelly of Callan (1823-1905): his life and times, 492-502.
Nevill, Ted:Kilkenny Bird's Eye Marble, 502.
Walton, Julian C. (ed.): Kilkenny Will Abstracts by Edmund Walsh Kelly, 503-520.
Smithwick, Peter: Saint Francis Abbey, 521-526.
Smithwick, Peter: Saint Canice's Well, 526-527.
Old Kilkenny Review, Second Series Vol 4 No 1 (1989)
Pike, H.K. Joan: Medieval fonts, 572-582, 597-8.
Halpin, T. B.: A history of brewing in Kilkenny, 583-591.
Brennan, John: Tom Moore & George Bryan, 592-597.
Higgins, James: Early Christian & medieval sculptures, 599-610.
Kenealy, Mary: A Kilkenny character, 611-613.
Brennan, Monica A.: The Smyths of Damma, 614-621.
Harte, Rita: The musical O'Carroll family, 624.
Silverman, Marilyn: Local history in Co. Kilkenny, 625-649.
Old Kilkenny Review Vol.4 No.2 (1990)
O'Donnell, Michael: Kilkenny and the reprieve of Thomas Bourke, Fenian, 1867, 710-716.
Cantwell, Brian J.: Rosbercon Churchyard, 717-730.
Hughes, E.W.: Republican Courts 1918-1923: A unique experiment, 731-744.
Phelan, Margaret M.: The Archdekins or MacCodys, 745-759.
Brennan, James: Peter Walsh and the Confederation of Kilkenny, 760-766.
Hobson, Roy: The Mathews of Bonnetstown,
Leonard, John: The Royal
anon: An old bill, 780-781.
Kilroy, Deirdre: Essays from Project 1989 Irish National Heritage: The ancient church at Newtown-Jerpoint, 782-784.
Old Kilkenny Review Vol.4 No.3 (1991)
Prendergast, Ellen: A Viking sword from Harley Park, 815-819.
McEvoy, Frank: An annotated copy of Father Connell, 820-825.
Kehoe, Imelda: Margaret Fitzgerald, wife of Piers Butler, 8th Earl of Ormond and 1st Earl of Ossory, 826-841.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Rothe House furniture, 841.
Cantwell, Ann: Miss Cronin-as I remember her, 842-847.
Manning, Conleth: Hugh the Clerk, 848-852.
Hall, Mark E.: Two Early Christian grave slabs from Dysert, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny, 853-858.
Hoyne, Liam: Ballygerdra boundary disputes, 859-871.
Cronin, Ailbhe; Hunt, Eoin & Prendergast, Ellen: Castlegarden sweat-house, Co. Kilkenny, 872-882.
Ryan, John: Two ancient sites at Boolyglass in south Co. Kilkenny, 883-884.
Kennedy, Joe: Coca-Cola (the Callan connection), 885-894.
de hÓir, Siobhán: Col. Vigors, Lord Walter Fitzgerald
and the Journal of the Assocation for the Preservation of the Memorials of the
Silverman, Marilyn: Doing local history in
Old Kilkenny Review Vol.4 No.4 (1992)
Brennan, James: Dunamaggan settlement history, 1650-1800, 958-967.
Brennan-Holahan, Mary P.: Catherine A. O'Brien - stained-glass artist, (with special reference to her work in Co. Kilkenny), 968-672.
Bradley, John & King, Heather A.: Archaeological trial excavations in Kilkenny, 973-987.
Silverman, Marilyn: From Kilkenny to the sea, by river, canal tram or rail? The politics of transport in the early nineteenth century, 988-1011.
Birthistle, Dorcas: Medieval tomb slab at Freneystown, 1012-1013.
O Bolguidhir, Liam: The early years of the Gaelic League in Kilkenny, 1014-1026.
anon. [document]: Bookplate of Lady Desart, designed by Jack B. Yeats, 1026.
Prendergast, Ellen: A fertility figure from Tullaroan, 1027-1031.
Kehoe, Imelda: Myles Walter Keogh (1840-1876), 1032-1046.
Hughes, Una: By the Linaun, 1047-1056.
Phelan, Margaret M. & Cantwell, Ann: Katie O'Neill, weaver and mill worker, 1057-1064.
Callery, Maureen: A link with Kilkenny, 1064.
Cotter, Claire: Archaeological excavations at
Old Kilkenny Review Vol.4 No.5 (1993)
Gulliver, P.H. & Silverman, Marilyn: Hucksters and petty retailers in Thomastown, 1880-1945, 1094-1100.
Callery, Maureen: Wave to the fairies, 1100.
Murtagh, Ben: The Kilkenny Castle Archaeological Project, 1990-1993: interim report, 1101-1117.
anon.: The works of the Banim Brothers, 1117.
Dooley, Terence A.M.: The decline of the Ormonde estate, 1893-1950, 1118-1140.
Manning, Conleth: Two medieval graveslabs
with French inscriptions from
Doyle, Joe: The "Callan Case" and
Brennan, John: Jenkinstown Oratory, 1159-1163.
Hall, Mark E.: A hacksilver find from Dysart, Thomastown, 1164-1165.
Moylan, Séamus: At the Edge of the Abyss: poems by Brian Mac Giolla Phádraig (c.1580-c.1652), 1170-1180.
Prendergast, Ellen: Images of the Holy Trinity - two new examples, 1186-1194.
Lightbown, Mary: Memorial to a poetess: John Flaxman's monument to Mary Tighe, 1195-1207.
Hoyne, Liam: The Shee family of Garrandarragh, 1208-1214.
Murtagh, Harman: Kilkenny Colonels and their regiments in the Jacobite War, 1689-91, 1215-1227.
Phelan, Margaret M.: The Rothe Monument-St. Mary's, Kilkenny, 1228-1233.
Old Kilkenny Review No.46 (1994)
Tierney, Ann: The world outside Kilkenny in 1594, 4-9.
O'Dwyer, Michael: Rothe House-owners, leases and tenants, 10-19.
Halpin, Thomas B.: Kilkenny
Comerford, Patrick: John Comerford of Ballybur (1598-1667): tracing his later life, 23-36.
Healy, William : Rothe House in 1619 (from the will of John Roth Fitzpiers of 31 March 1619), 37.
Hughes E.W.: The shooting on
Thompson, Glenn F.: The lineage of the Kilkenny Militia, 51-53.
Newspaper advertisement 1822: The Leinster Union Society, 53.
Banim, John : Rothe House c.1808, 54-56.
newspaper announcement: Kilkenny Yeomanry Corps 1808.
Law, Edward J.: The presentation plate of the
Corporation of the City of
newspaper advertisement 1815: Mr J Banim (painter), 74
Birthistle, Dorcas: Lime and lime-kilns, 75-77.
Murtagh, Ben: Archaeological investigations at Dysart, Co. Kilkenny 1989-1994: an interim report, 78-94.
James, C.E. : Rothe House in 1884, 95.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Kilkenny Archaeological Society 1945-1994, 96-104.
McEvoy, Dan: Blacksmiths in Kilkenny, 105-110.
Newspaper article 1809: traffic to keep to left, 110.
Johnston, Mairead M.: The Rothe House collection: an Aladdin's cave of costume and textiles, 111-119.
O'Dwyer, Michael: A Kilkenny printer's will, 120-121.
Newspaper article 1809: subscription to build new chapel at Graiguenamanagh, 121.
Kirwan, John: The Robbins family of Ballyduff and Firgrove, Co. Kilkenny-a preliminary study, 122-135.
Old Kilkenny Review No.47 (1995)
Curry, Kevin: Patrick Corcoran (1879-1920): Kilkennyman, nationalist and woodcarver, 6-10.
O'Sullivan, Muiris: The eastern tomb at Knockroe, 11-30.
Phelan, Margaret M.: A Kilkenny plaque in Hampstead, 31-32.
Law, Edward J.: The Merry Harriers Club, 33-40.
O'Shea, Mary: St. Canice's Muckalee: an Early Christian site, 41-43.
anon.: Torments of the provincial Press [newspaper extracts 1834], 43.
Fewer, Thomas Gregory: Famine mortality in
Kirwan, John: A Bernard Scalé estate map of
the townlands of Ballygub and Clonamery, Inistioge,
Lenox-Conyngham, Melosina: Some Kilkenny diaries, 63-76.
newspaper announcement 1818: application for job of organist at St. Mary's, 76.
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: A previously unrecorded
medieval grave slab from under
Phelan, Margaret M.: Kilkenny Archaeological Society 1945-1994: Personnel, 80-89.
O Fearghail, Fearghus: Fulachta Fiadh in the shadow of the Walsh Mountains, 90-93.
newspaper report 1768: account of a hunt, 93.
Hoyne, Liam: Myhills of Killarney, Co. Kilkenny: their landowning predecessors and successors, 94-108.
Halpin, T.B.: Malthouse memories, 109-113.
O'Dwyer, Michael: The Famine in Kilkenny, as reported in the Kilkenny Journal newspaper, September 1845 to March 1848, 114-126.
Brennan, James: Monastic sites in ancient Ossory: an archaeological view, 127-139.
Law, Edward J.: The school that Mrs. Pack built, 140-145.
anon.: Editorial encouragement from the Kilkenny Journal [newspaper extracts 1834], 145.
Old Kilkenny Review No.48 (1996)
deLoughry, A. & Ní Dhubhluachra, Pádraigín: Patrick Corcoran: a postscript, 7-8.
McKeogh, T.K.: Dr. Joseph Lalor, (1811-1886):
"A credit to
newspaper article 1841 [Kilkenny Journal]: To Correspondents, 19.
Dyer, John S.: Election of a portrieve at Inistioge 1760, 20-22.
Patterson, Tony: Illegal Outdoor Relief in Kilkenny Workhouse, 23-37.
newspaper article 1806: setting up Orphan Society in ?Kilkenny, 37.
Hegarty, Maureen: Among the Society's collections: the Museum, 38-39.
Phelan, Margaret M.: An unidentified tomb in St. Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny, 40-44.
Law, Edward J.: Kilkenny Connections with the Irish Trade Exhibitions of 1852 and 1853, 45-54.
newspaper article 1844: Kilkenny Petty Sessions, March 1844, 54.
Landy, Mr. J.: Dr. John Cormick: from
Tullaghaught Parish to
Lightbown, Ronald W.: Impressions of nineteenth-century Kilkenny (1800-50), 57-80.
anon.: Kilkenny flood of 1763, 81-83.
O'Bolguidhir, Liam: The
anon.: Mentioned in passing [C18-19 newspaper obituaries], 92-93.
O'Fearghail, Fearghus: Some Ossory medieval inscriptions revisited, 94-105.
Tierney, Ann: Among the Society's collections: the Library, 106-107.
McEvoy, Dan: Thomas Dowling's hearse, 108-111.
Tennyson, Michael: A likely crannog site explored at Loughmerans, Kilkenny, 112-116.
Law, Edward J.: Cholera in Kilkenny, 1832-33, 117-122.
newspaper announcement 1772: recruiting for the Marines, 123.
Old Kilkenny Review No.49 (1997)
Jordan, Peter: Kilkenny art gallery, 5-28.
Cody, Eamon: John O'Donovan and the field
McCan, Anthony: A brief history of the Haydens of Caherlesk, 33-47.
Langrishe, Hugh, R.: Richard Langrishe, F.R.I.A.I., F.R.S.A.I, 1834-1922, 48-65.
Law, Edward J.: The origins and early years of Kilkenny gasworks, 66-73.
Patterson, Tony: Famine fever in Kilkenny, 74-88.
Kirwan, John: The Walsh family of Lower Grange, Goresbridge, County Kilkenny, 89-106.
Brennan, James: The cult of St Ciaran in
Murtagh, Ben: The medieval parish church and graveyard of St. Nicholas, Newtown Jerpoint, 118-129.
Law, Edward J.: The Rothe House Collection: a set of livery buttons? 130.
McEvoy, Dan: My years in the Monster House, 131-138.
Shortall, William: The Carrigan letters, 139-151.
McEvoy, Frank: A glimpse at Famine days in Kilkenny, 152-162.
Ryan, P.J.: Memories of the old
Halpin, Thomas B.: Local history from the national census returns, 166-178.
Crotty, Gerard: The Langrishe quarterings, 179-187.
Burgess, Eleanor: Some thoughts on Kilkenny Studies in honour of Margaret M. Phelan, 188-196.
Meagher, Jon, et al.: Field boundaries of Conahy, 210-213.
Old Kilkenny Review No.50 (1998)
McEvoy, Dan: Some World War I veterans in Kilkenny, 7-9.
Brennan, James: Richard Ledrede, bishop of Ossory-towards a new assessment, 10-19.
Phelan, Margaret M.: A tomb frontal in St Canice's cathedral, Kilkenny, 20-23.
Murtagh, Ben: The medieval parish church and graveyard of St. Nicholas, Jerpoint, bibliography, 23.
Manion, Patricia Jean: The Haydens of
Dyer, John S.: The almshouse at Inistioge, 43-47.
Murtagh, Ben: The New Building, an eighteenth century house,
Patterson, Tony: Robert Cane and Young
Cockerham, Paul: A
Tenison, Michael: Field Systems explored in the Inistioge area, 99-111.
Doyle, Joe: Kilcumney-its origins, aftermath & legacy-a review, 140-143.
Comerford, Patrick: The Church of Ireland in
Old Kilkenny Review No.51 (1999)
Kirwan, John: Pompeo Batoni and his Kilkenny sitters, 10-18.
Brady, Margery: Yeats-the Kilkenny connection, 19-23.
Phelan, Margaret M.: Mary, Kitty & Rita-the three Harte sisters, 24-27.
Boaz, Thomas: The Archdeacon (Cody) family in the American South 1730-1875, 28-43.
Halpin, Thomas B.: The 1659 census, 44-49.
Kiely, Richard: A letter from
Shirley, C. Ashton: The Shirley eviction from their farm at Burnchurch in 1850, 80-87.
Sinsteden, Thomas: The 1718 Kilkenny
presentation of Freedom to Richard Tighe of
Comerford, Patrick: From India to
Williams, Jeremy: The lost Swiss cottage of
Patterson, Tony: The reform of Kilkenny Corporation in the Repeal year of 1843, 112-127.
Old Kilkenny Review No.52 (2000)
Crotty, Gerard: The arms of Tighe, 5-18.
Brady, Margery: Two Robertson houses at John's Quay, Kilkenny, 19-25.
Patterson, Tony: Alderman Richard Connell's book, 109-115.
Kiely, Jacinta: Archaeological excavation at
Harris, Amy Louise: A newly discovered
'Kerin' tomb at Thomastown,
Ó hAnnracháin, Eoghan: Kilkenny men and the Hôtel Royal des Invalides, 131-155.
McCoole, Sinéad: A family in the Phelan Room, Rothe House, Kilkenny 156-161.
Murphy, William: John Holland, artist of the American depression, 162-176.
Old Kilkenny Review No.53 (2001)
Conway, Michael A.: The Hole in the Wall, Kilkenny: an inner house of Archer's Mansion, 1582, 6-24.
McQuillan, Peter: It said in the papers-1901, 25-28.
Patterson, Tony: Sovereigns of the town of
Brennan, Michael: An examination of the modern Celtic cross, 36-52.
Manning, Conleth: A suspected case of arson in sixteenth century Co. Kilkenny, 53-63.
McCarron, Fidelma & McCarron, Edward T.: The Atlantic world of Kavanagh and Cottrill, 64-81.
Manning, Conleth & Scarry, John: Photographs of Kilkenny interest from a Victorian album, 82-88.
Fewer, T.G.: The hearth money roll of 1665
for the city of
Birthistle, Dorchas: O'Loughlin Memorial
Ní Dhubhluachra, Padraigín: An tAthair J K Fielding, 124-127.
Cullen, C.J.: The Parade terrace, Kilkenny, 128-139.
Kehoe, Imelda: George Berkeley and Thomas Prior, lifelong friends, 140-148.
Hughes, Una: Photographic exhibition, Rothe House, 149-151.
Old Kilkenny Review No.54 (2002)
Law, Edward: The Richard Colles Johnson bequest, 5-15.
anonymous: The round tower [Tullaherin, near Bennetsbridge], 16-17
Norton, Desmond: On Viscount Frankfort's Kilkenny estates in the 1840s 18-40.
Cassin, Mary: It said in the papers-1904, 41-49.
Sharma, Babita, Wait, Gerald & Ozmin, Elizabeth: Rothe House-A history, 53-75.
McEvoy, Dan: Kelly Coachbuilders 76-81.
Pinchin, Harry: Thomastown Recollections, 82-92.
Patterson, Tony: Mayors of the city of Kilkenny 1609-2002, 93-99.
McEvoy, Francis: Patrick M Egan, 100-112.
Hughes, Una: In the Borough of St. Kenny, 113-130.
Law, Edward J.: Notes on Kilkenny architects and buildings, 131-139.
Long, Winifred: Rectangular enclosure at Knockdrina, 140-143.
Old Kilkenny Review No.55 (2003)
Law, Edward J.: The bells & bellringers of St Canice's Cathedral, 6-10.
Shine, Linda: The cantred of Erley: a case study of manorial organisation, 11-25.
Murtagh, Ben: Work begins on Talbot tower, Kilkenny, 26-29.
The Integrated Conservation Group (Edward J. Law, ed.): The Bishop's palace, Kilkenny, 30-53.
Walsh, Colm J.: It said in the papers-1847, 54-57.
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: Kilkenny reclaimed: the archaeological evidence for medieval reclamation in Kilkenny city, 58-69.
newspaper article (Kilkenny Moderator, 22 November, 1865): The colonnade, St Canice's Cathedral, 70-71.
newspaper article (Kilkenny Journal, 22 December, 1832): Travellers' Home, 71.
Patterson, Tony: Enactments of the Dernhundred in Kilkenny 1516-1544, 72-85.
newspaper article (The Leinster Journal, 7 June, 1769): Cathedral longevity, 85.
McEvoy, Francis: Farm accounts on a Co. Kilkenny estate 1846-47, 86-96.
Neary, Patrick J.H.: Archaeological excavation of early medieval burials at Cooleeshalmore, Threecastles, Co. Kilkenny, 97-104.
newspaper article (Finn's Leinster Journal, 20 May, 1772): untitled [bigamy and forgery case], 104.
Hughes, Una: In the Borough of St Kenny (2), 105-118.
McGrath, Brid: The nomination of Kilkenny MPs in 1628, 119-125.
Cullen, Charlie: The history of
newspaper article (Kilkenny Moderator, 27 June, 1857): Cathedral bees, 140.
Law, Edward J.: The tomb of John, 2nd Marquess of Ormonde, St Canice's cathedral, 141-148.
Murtagh, Ben: Architectural stone fragments stored to the rear of Rothe House, 149-152.
newspaper article (Kilkenny Journal, 8 November, 1843): Vandalism in Cathedral Close, 148.
Old Kilkenny Review No.56 (2004)
Doyle, Ian W., & O’Meara, Brenda:
Medieval grave slabs recovered from the River Nore,
Walsh, Colm A.: Model of Duiske Abbey, 21-23.
Cullen, Charles J.: Mahon & McPhillips, Ltd., 1947–1988: an oral history, 24-43.
.document: Tolls and customs at Graiguenamanagh, 44-45.
Patterson, Tony: The Irishtown and the Hightown: uneasy neighbours, 46-62
newspaper article: ‘To be sold reasonable’ Finn’s Leinster Journal, 30 March 1774. (note), 62.
McGurran, Seamus: It said in the papers – 1922, 63-68.
newspaper article: ‘Removal of Kilkenny market-cross’ Finn’s Leinster Journal, 9 February 1771. (note), 68.
Higgins, Kevin: Chomolungma – The Kilkenny Connection, 69-79.
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: Probing the past: a geophysical survey at St Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, 80-106.
Crotty, Gerard: An heraldic reminder of King Henry VIII, 107-112.
Murray, Colm: The stones of Duiske Abbey, Graiguenamanagh, 113-120.
newspaper article: ‘The proposed new bridge’ Kilkenny Moderator, 12 August 1857. (note), 120.
Cullen, Charles J.: A Kilkenny builder’s time-book, 1896, 121-124.
newspaper article: the
Law, Edward J.: Kilkenny Mechanics’ Friend Society, 139-143.
newspaper article: new revolving cage at Tholsel for punishing minor offences. Finn’s Leinster Journal, 10 November 1770. (note), 143.
newspaper article: Thomastown Benevolent Society Kilkenny Journal and Leinster Commercial and Literary Advertiser, 25 October 1837. 144-146.
Old Kilkenny Review No.57 (2005)
Stevens, Paul (with contributions by Dr.
Ingeliese Stuijts and Laureen Buckley): New evidence for the Bronze and Iron
Doyle, Ian: Excavation of a riverside
circular tower in
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: Archaeological
excavations at the rear of No. 63 High Street (OK House),
Bradley, John: The priors of
McGrath, Brid: Inistioge’s elections in 1640, 75-82.
Law, Edward J.: Three Kilkenny book collectors, 83-88.
Hegarty, Maureen: Thomas Pierce Purcell: A Kilkenny man to be remembered, 89-92.
Cullen, Charles J.: Mahon & McPhillips Ltd., 1947–1988: an oral history (Part II), 93-105.
Neary, Patrick J.H.: A newly discovered Anglo-Norman ringwork castle from Purcell’s Inch townland, Kilkenny (note), 106-108.
Devine, Emma & Marshall, Sinead:
Fragments of Kilkenny’s Renaissance past in
Bradley, John: The decline and fall of
Old Kilkenny Review No.58 (2006)
Clutterbuck, Richard; Elliot, Ian & Shanahan, Brian: The motte and manor of Callan, Co. Kilkenny, 7-28.
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: A collection of
previously unpublished medieval burial monuments from St. Mary’s Church,
document: from a series of travel letters published in 1779: ‘Letter XIV. A description of the caverns near Kilkenny’, 45-46.
Stevens, Paul: Four excavations in
Devine, Emma: Rich pickings from a Medieval potter’s yard at MacDonagh Station, Kilkenny City, 67-70.
Manning, Conleth: Ballyshanemore Castle, Gowran, Co. Kilkenny and the eponymous Seán Mór, 71-76.
Bradley, John: The creation of The Parade: Ormond’s deal with Kilkenny Corporation, 1677, 77-116.
anonymous: Authors’ presentation inscriptions in books in KAS library. Some bookplates in the Kilkenny Archaeological Society library, 117-119
Dunleavy, John J.: Paulstown and 1798, 120-123.
document: from a series of travel letters published in 1779: ‘Letter XIII – Kilkenny’, 124-126.
McEvoy, Francis: The Wemyss family of Danesfort, Co. Kilkenny, 127-138.
Ó Bolguidhir, Liam: The military in Kilkenny 1800–1870, 139-151.
newspaper articles: vandalism at
O Meara, Brenda: A preliminary account of recent excavations adjacent to Kilkenny Union Workhouse, 154-162.
Mac Giolla Dé, Tomás: The last Lord Galmoy, 163-172.
Larkin, Ronald: The fatal picture of
Halpin, Thomas B.: Kilkenny’s titled landowners in 1876, 176-178.
Hamilton, Kathie (compiler): Kilkenny traveller stories, 179-184.
Bradley, John: The town wall of Kilkenny revisited: a review article, 185-195.
Old Kilkenny Review No.59 (2007)
Dowd, Marion A.; Lynch, Linda G. &
McCarthy, Margaret: Recent archaeological discoveries in
Stevens, Paul: Four excavations in
Tierney, Ann: A record of some Kilkenny imports in the late sixteenth century, 38-47.
Manning, Conleth: The Delahunty grave slab in
St Francis’ Abbey,
Boran, Elizabethanne: A third reformation? ‘Persecution and oppressions’ in seventeenth century Kilkenny, 52-68.
Ó Ciobháin, Breandán: The River Nore—An Fheoir, 69-70.
Ramón, Marta: James Stephens and Kilkenny: the making of a Fenian chief, 71-79.
Corlett, Christiaan: The
Law, Edward: The town bell and clock, 98-103.
Hughes, Una: Nineteenth Century Kilkenny—a healthy place? Part I, 104-114.
Gavin, Alyson: The Whites of Gowran House, 115-128.
Hegarty, Maureen: Beginnings: the early years of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society in Rothe House, 129–131.
Old Kilkenny Review No.60 (2008)
Laidlaw, Graeme: The Ballykeoghan burnt mound, 7-15.
McCarthy, John: Two castles at Coolhill and
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilín: The Rothe family garden rediscovered: an interim report on the 2007 archaeological excavation project, 34-47.
McQuillan, Róisín: The Rothe House family garden, 48-53.
Bradley, John: A lease of 1573 relating to
Bergin, Denis: In search of James – celebrating the 250th anniversary of the birth of James Hoban, architect and builder of the White House, 70-77.
Popper, Deborah E.: A notable precursor –
Christopher Colles and the mapping of
Lane, Pádraig: The IRB, Labour and Parnell: the Kilkenny factor, 89-93.
O’Dwyer, Michael: The Ormonde Mills throughout the centuries, 94-103.
Halpin, Thomas B.: The Sweetman family, 104-106.
Grace, Pierce A: ‘Carbuncles, ulcers and
pustules’ – the Black Death in
Hughes, Una: Nineteenth century Kilkenny – a healthy place? part II, 113-135.
Law, Edward J.: Early dentists in Kilkenny, 125-129.
McEvoy, Francis: The metal man of Danesfort, 130-138.
Joyce, John: Duiske Abbey cemetery—its Mass house and school, 139-143.
Law, Edward J.: A question answered, 144-145.
########: Archaeological Society in Rothe House, 129–131.
Old Kilkenny Review No.61 (2009)
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilin; Bradley, John,
Stevens, Paul: Coady’s Castle Redoubt, Galmoy, Co. Kilkenny: Archaeological excavations of a post-medieval earthwork fort (1999), 20-36.
Laidlaw, Graeme: Breaking pots: the grooved ware assemblage from Scart, Co. Kilkenny, 37-46.
Larkin, Eileen: ‘A very clever scoundrel’—a case of identity fraud in the Wheeler-Cuffe Collection, 47-49.
Larkin, Eileen: A royal visit to Kilkenny, 1904, 50-64.
Law, Edward J.: The Masonic movement in Co. Kilkenny, 65-71.
O’Connor, Thomas: David Rothe (c. 1573–1650): bishop and historian, 73-84.
Tierney, Ann: The Bristol trade of John Rothe and other Kilkenny merchants in 1594-1595 and 1600-1601, 85-101.
Walsh, Walter: An exile remembers:
Grace, Pierce A.: Our Father Francis MacManus: Kilkenny man, teacher, writer and broadcaster, 121-127.
Murtagh, Ann: ‘Doing the Christmas Business’, Christmas shopping in Kilkenny city in the late 1930s, 128-137.
Old Kilkenny Review No.62 (2010)
Law, Edward J.: Good Evans, bad Grace. Evans, Grace and Whelan, philanthropist, forger and murderer, 7-13.
Hand, Tony: William Colles and the Nore navigation, 14-28.
Hegarty, Susan: Early Holocene deposit
Grace, Pierce A.: ‘I despise your offer’ How Sheffield Grace embellished his family history, 36-43.
O’Dwyer, Michael: The Kilkenny Library Society, 44-48.
Brady, Margery: The Confederation Hall and Market Yard, 49-55.
Law, Edward J.:
Hegarty, Maureen: ‘I must be talking to my friends’ Micheál Mac Liammóir in Rothe House, 63-67.
Ó Drisceoil, Cóilin & Nicholls, John: Geophysical surveys at Freestone Hill, Danesfort, St. Kilmolig’s Church (Purcellsinch) and Castlefield, 68-84.
Law, Edward J.: Illuminated addresses, 85-90.
Lewis, Andrew: The Grand Jury maps of County Kilkenny, 91-95.
Law, Edward J.: Thomas Chaplin and other Kilkenny cabinet makers, 96-103.
document: Breakfast shelter petition, 1906, 104-107.
McEvoy, Frank: An excursion to Kilcooley Abbey 18th August 1912, 108-111.
Nolan, Pat: A flavour of the Liber Primus Kilkenniensis 1231–1537, 112-116
newspaper articles: Chalk Sunday—contrasting views [Illustrated London News 19 March 1859, The Kilkenny Moderator 13 February 1856], 117-118.